Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Waxing Nostalgic Again - Dice


I still have the original dice that came with the original Blue Box D&D. Here they are, in all of their opaque-brown glory next to a standard sized d20 from Gamescience that glows in the dark. Yes, my first dice were soooo tiny. You kids today don't know how good you got it.

The dice we received in those early boxed sets didn't have professionally painted numbers. Instead we got crayon that came with the box set and instructions on how to color those numbers in. You rubbed the crayon wax into the grooves and then wiped away the excess. That would last you about to game sessions and then you'd have to do it all over again.

And you didn't always get a crayon in the box.

Some day I'll have to roll those old dice again. Maybe someday at a con. I'll bust them out and see if anyone recognizes them, or if the young-whippersnappers give me grief over my ratty old rolling bones.