Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Does It Have To Look Realistic?



I was using my google-fu, looking for some tileable textures to use in maps (I'm working on the junkyard for Waylaid on Wayland) when I came across this artist who goes by the name of Mr. Cirwos. Student Site Here.

It had never occurred to me to use anything but realistic textures in my maps, but I have to say I am smitten with the charm of doing something more cartoonish. When dealing in miniature, details can get lost and some may even become confusing. But with a cel-shaded approach the map details are easily visible. Plus it has that Saturday-morning cartoon feel to the adventures which frankly I don't mind at all.

Have a look for yourself. Do you think you could enjoy a game on a map that was cartoony? I'm guessing that anyone who has played all of their games on Wet-erase maps might not have an issue with it.